Friday, November 09, 2007

Fall into Reading...

So I've been given a scary tag by my cousin, Heather. My top 10 book list. I struggle with all these types of lists...movies, food, books, etc. How do you choose your favorite? I always think I have a general idea, and then I think of another one a week later and I'm mad it wasn't on my list. But, I'll be a good sport and list the first one's that came to mind. I put in a few classics I love and some recent finds. So here it goes (in no particular order)

1. The Wedding
2. Jane Eyre
3. A Thousand Splending Suns
4. The Kite Runner
5. Mans Search For Meaning
6. The Great Divorce
7. The Glass Castle
8. Harry Potter Series - seriously! Love it!
9. To Kill a Mockingbird
10. DaVinci Code

Sorry to all those Twilight fans out there...it won't make my list. It was a good read, but as hard as I tried, I just couldn't get into vampires. Sorry. I will now prepare for the many messages telling me how wrong I am, but that's that. My new book that I am wanting to read...no exciting novel or anything...but Love and Logic Parenting. I figure I could use a little help and I've heard it's great, so I'll give it a try.

I now tag:

1. Suzanne Hart
2. Ashly Lark
3. Kristy Dunning

You 3 better make a real effort this time b/c you never do my tags - but I really would love to know this one.

13 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm glad I'm not the only one that didn't fall in love with Edward. I seriously tried too, but it just didn't work. But the Glass Castle & Da Vinci Code, now those were good.

heather said...

Thanks Katie for being a good sport. I figured if I wanted to get you to comment on my blog I better get you involved (you stinker). I've heard from several people The Glass Castle is good, it's my book this month for book club. There are some books I haven't read on your list, so they are now on my books to read list! If your looking for parenting books my favorite one is "How to Behave so your Children will Too." I think he has even come out with one "How to Behave so your Preschooler will Too." I found his ideas to be ones that were easily applied. Also, you might have noticed Twilight didn't hit my top ten list either. I thought it was an entertaining read but I never made it past the first one. I know my sister is going to read this and curse me. Thanks again Katie you're the best. But seriously if you don't comment on my blog I'm going to go private and not invite you!! Ha!Ha! Love Ya!

kristenlucy said...

i started reading parenting with love and logic when mike was having his surgery...i was too distracted to really read anything, so i gave up and haven't quite made it back to it!! so...thanks for the reminder :) i've been looking for some new books...glad for the recomendations!! i've read a few books by lorna landvik...my mom gave me my first one and it took me a little while to get over the title...patty jane's house of curl. but, once i got past it, i really enjoyed the book and a few others by her!! just an easy, entertaining read...

Anya said...

I work at a foser care agency and we teach a lot of Love and Logic parenting to foster parents. I don't know who is behind all of it- but it really seems to work if you have the patience for it!

Anonymous said...

I'm agreeing with several of your picks...Kite Runner, Harry Potter, Da Vinci Code, Mockingbird, Jane Eyre...and I'm agreeing with your lack of love for Twilight!!! I totally want to see the Keri Russell movie...have you seen it yet?

kristy said...

I know! I seriously forgot to do your other tag and can't believe I did that cuz I really do love tags! So, I'll do this one tonight, but my list might be pretty much the same as yours!! Love practically every book you listed (The Wedding... wasn't that the best ever?! oh, I loved it.)

Steve and Katie Hoffman said...

remember when i was reading the wedding and i couldn't put it down? i would read it during our cross-cultural devlopment class while you took notes? ha!

Robyn said...

Good list! I just started Kite Runner last night and couldn't put it down. It's pretty heavy but I can tell I'm going to love it.

Katie said...

Are you kidding Kate...you were always reading in that class while I took notes. I still remember you crying at the end of the book in the middle of class. I knew I had to read it. That class was classic. Ahh..memories.

familyof4 said...

I'm going to be starting Love and Logic Parenting too. I'v been told by a few of my friends it's a wonderful book.

Amber said...

There are many on your like that I would agree with. I also have to would have to agree with you and Heather about Twilight. I enjoyed reading it, but it is not one of my favorites.

Anonymous said...

I can't believe you don't like twilight. I guess I'll let it slide, but let it be known I am obsessed! Parenting with Love and Logic is a really good book. I've been trying it on Max and a lot of the stuff seams to really work well. Sometimes it's hard to be as creative as you need to be but it usually works. ej

emily said...

Okay so my comment is a little late, I haven't blogged this week, sorry. BUT I had to come on and say I totally love the Twilight series HOWEVER it would NEVER make my top 10 list. Yes, I said it Heather. It would never make my top 10 list. It is a great series and fun to read but the point is, I read them, all three in four days! A book worth making a top ten list must be appreciated on a different level. I love your top 10. I think I have only not read one or two and they are ALL fabulous books, especially A Thousand Splended Suns and To Kill a Mockingbird. The Glass Castle was so interesing I couldn't believe all that the woman went through. I saw her interviewed on the Stephen Cobert show and she was a little weird, one could understand. Anyway, I am being a little verbose. Love the post thanks.